Friday, November 2, 2007

My First Tutorial - Christmas Cracker

Ok, I have decided to try and write a tutorial, I hope you can follow it!

I have converted the measurements to inches here

This pattern works really well with either A4 cardstock or 12 x12 Double Sided Designer Paper (you will get 2 crackers from each 12 x 12 sheet). I have used Very Vanilla cardstock for the cracker shown in the tutorial (double sided paper doesn't show up very well). On with the Tutorial then.

Cut a piece of A4 card down to 14.5 cm wide, stamp one side randomly with images of your choice (I have used Peaceful Wishes stamped in Cranberry Crisp, True Thyme and Basic Brown). Score on the unstamped side at 13.5cm on the long side, turn the card and from each short side score at 5cm, 7cm and 9cm, I have marked the score lines on the photo if you are more of a visual person (I definitely am).


Now fold the card into the centre on the 7cm score lines (the middle one of the three at each end) as shown in the photo.




Next you will need my "monster teeth" template. I couldn't work out how to put it here so I have uploaded it at Splitcoast Stampers here


When you print it ensure that page scaling is set to none, they have to be 13.5cm wide by 4cm deep. I print directly onto a contrasting colour of card to make my life easier. Using paper clips attach the monster teeth as shown, the piece on the left is the small score line.






Cut out the teeth using a pair of scissors. When you get to the tab piece on the left hand side cut towards the template at a 45 degree angle as shown. Repeat on the other end.


Open up the cracker and cut the top and bottom tabs at a 45 degree angle as shown.







Now put sticky strip the whole length of each of the tabs as shown (you don't want your cracker to pop open on its own!). I attached the belly band to the actual cracker before I assembled it. I cut a piece of Cranberry Crisp 13.5cm x 4cm and piece of Very Vanilla 13.5cm x 3cm. I stamped the Very Vanilla, then stuck the layer to the body of the cracker using sticky strip. Doing it now rather than later does make it quite stiff to fold!

Stick the middle section together first - it is really hard to reach into the middle from the outside (yes, that is the voice of experience talking!).


Place a cracker snap inside the cracker along with whatever other goodies will fit. Cut two pieces of 6mm wide grosgrain ribbon and tie around each end, trim and you are done!



If you have any problems following my directions please feel free to contact me.
Have a great day :-)

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your first tutorial. I can't wait to give this a try. I will wait to see if you get the US conversion posted, if not, I will try to convert myself (with a little help from the puter) LOL
Your design is just so creative. Thanks again. I will add your blog to my daily ones, so I can keep up.
Dee (scs deelite)

Jennifer Meyer said...

WOW, not only is your nutcracker beautiful but so are your instructions. Thanks you so much for taking the time to help us over at SCS.

Have a great weekend,
Jennifer

PS Love your Blog :)

Sharlene Meyer said...

Totally works for me Lynette! I will have to go make one now.

Cate said...

Fantastic! We have these every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. I will have to try these (if I can figure out the conversions! ;)). Beautiful work and very nice tutorial! Thank you for sharing!

Cate

Keryn Campbell said...

Thanks heaps Lynette. Going now to have a go at it.

Rhi said...

This is brilliant, what a great tutorial, thanks for sharing!

Rhi :)

StampDancer said...

I love this idea! It's terrific. Hope you will get 10 requests for converting to inches. Deb

Anonymous said...

Love your tutorial and hope you can convert it to US so I can make some for Christmas! If not then I will have to try my hand at converting it myself(lol)

Keryn Campbell said...

My Cracker worked beautifully Lynette. Thanks heaps.

Heather said...

Great tutorial. Don't apologize for metric measurements- they are easy enough to convert.

Becky said...

Wonderful directions! I can't wait to try them out.

Anonymous said...

This looks like an awesome project i can't wait to try it. I was just wondering about the cracker snap though? What is it? Is it something i can buy somewhere

Lynette Couper said...

Hi, a cracker snap is something that we can buy in craft shops. They are long thin pieces of card joind in the middle with something like a cap gun cap. When you pull the cracker each person makes sure that their thumb is on the snap and it makes a crack sound, a bit corny but the kids (big and small) love them :-)

Anonymous said...

thanks so much for this. I have 90 crackers to get organised for tuesday week. I was beginning to think it would be impossible. I even ordered double the amount of designer paper thinking I would only be able to make 1 cracker a sheet. SO you have made this a breeze for me....many many thanks.
Melissa

Anonymous said...

An excellent tutorial which worked a treat. My 8yr old daughter Annie has small presents for her best friends at school and we wanted an alternative to just wrapping them in Xmas paper. Annie is thrilled with the professional results and can't wait to hand them out in school next week.
Thank you for sharing the secret.
Tracy McD
Buckinghamshire, England

Michelle said...

I want to make one with an a4 card

Paula Dobson said...

Love this Cracker Lyn!! So easy and the directions you have given, very clear. You are such a clever clogs :-)